Wow, it's been a busy week. I didn't even have time to update this blog like I wanted. 

In the past week, I've finished installing sheathing on all four sides. I built some stairs, which are in temporarily, just to see how they feel. So far, so good. They will come out when I start on the interior walls. I framed out the bathroom, but haven't installed the door yet. The big chore was raising the ridge beam and installing the rafters, which support the roof. 

I also moved the window that was initially close to the main entrance, and put it into the bathroom. Framing the gable ends of the house involved making rough openings for the windows, as well. I've started installing the house wrap, which protects the underlayment from moisture, and goes between the wall studs and the finished exterior. I picked up a few sample pieces of a concrete-type finish that is made to resemble staggered cedar shingles. It looks pretty good. I normally don't like "fake" wood, but the house will be in the shade (and prone to moisture) several months of the year, and I just feel like it will hold up better. 

I hope to get the windows installed permanently tomorrow, before the rain is supposed to come. It doesn't look like I'll get to start on sheathing the roof before the weekend, so I'm off to buy another big tarp (to match the one I already have) and put it over the rafters to protect the interior from getting wet this weekend. 

Here's a bunch of pics. Don't have a lot of time today!

Sheathing going over the main entrance. This pic also shows the jig I made to support the 16 foot ridge beam. Putting it up yourself requires a little help from scrap lumber. 

Sheathing going over the main entrance. This pic also shows the jig I made to support the 16 foot ridge beam. Putting it up yourself requires a little help from scrap lumber. 


Most of the way through installing the rafters.

Most of the way through installing the rafters.

On Sunday, I cut a couple of stair risers and treads. The pitch seems to work much better than a ladder, and it feels like there's enough headroom at the top to not feel terribly cramped. 

On Sunday, I cut a couple of stair risers and treads. The pitch seems to work much better than a ladder, and it feels like there's enough headroom at the top to not feel terribly cramped. 

Olivia had Monday off for MLK Day. She studied in the loft while Aden...was being Aden. It was a beautiful day to work outside.

Olivia had Monday off for MLK Day. She studied in the loft while Aden...was being Aden. It was a beautiful day to work outside.

Sheathing completed. Temporarily put up a trim board on the left side and some samples of the concrete shingle siding. It's not cheap stuff, but I've got a good source for it, and it is very durable...and heavy! 100sq. ft. weighs over half a ton! 

Sheathing completed. Temporarily put up a trim board on the left side and some samples of the concrete shingle siding. It's not cheap stuff, but I've got a good source for it, and it is very durable...and heavy! 100sq. ft. weighs over half a ton! 

Starting to install the house wrap. Hope to finish it before the weekend, when it's supposed to rain.

Starting to install the house wrap. Hope to finish it before the weekend, when it's supposed to rain.