Misc

Sorry, no real progress made on the guest house in the last ten days. I did put in some shelving under the stairs, but otherwise it has been just sitting until I can get some clear days to start on the exterior siding. 

I finished up a job this week where there had been some rot in the corner of a kitchen from water leaking over time from the dishwasher. Wood rot, in one form or another, probably represents about 60% of the work I do. Water is a house's number one enemy. Left alone, it can do an enormous amount of damage. If untreated wood is left damp, it begins to decay, then attracts insects, then spreads. I don't know how long this area had been subjected to the leak, but it rotted the bottom of the studs along two walls, got into the sill plate and surrounding floor joists. Fortunately, the homeowner was in the process of renovating the kitchen when he discovered it. I would guess the area had about six more months that is could have tolerated it, then I think the corner would have collapsed!

Another project that popped up last week is putting hand railing around our cabin porch. We recently changed homeowner's insurance companies, and, surprise, they did an inspection. I've known since we moved in that there should be a handrail...but the view is so nice that we didn't want to obstruct it. Besides, we don't get a lot of visitors out here, so I was never too concerned about someone stumbling off the porch. Well, we received a letter basically stating that we had to do it or lose our policy.

We decided to go with wood and wire. I tried one section with chicken wire, but it looked pretty bad. I ended up going with some 14ga fencing that works much better. I hope to finish up the handrails going up the steps today and put this behind us. 

photo 9.JPG

Underneath this rotten floor were some pretty rough looking joists. The bottoms of the surrounding studs were not even attached anymore. 

The customers wanted to open up the kitchen at the same time, so I took out the far wall and put in a full length header. They wanted to keep in a couple of knee walls so that the kitchen cabinets would butt up against something, and they wouldn't have to remove the ducting and electrical on the left side.

The customers wanted to open up the kitchen at the same time, so I took out the far wall and put in a full length header. They wanted to keep in a couple of knee walls so that the kitchen cabinets would butt up against something, and they wouldn't have to remove the ducting and electrical on the left side.

Almost done. I wasn't sure about the design at first, but I think it turned out great, and it definitely opens and brightens up the area.

Almost done. I wasn't sure about the design at first, but I think it turned out great, and it definitely opens and brightens up the area.

My first test section of our porch. Once it is stained, I think it will fit well with the style of the cabin. It allows us to see more than a typical balustered railing would. 

My first test section of our porch. Once it is stained, I think it will fit well with the style of the cabin. It allows us to see more than a typical balustered railing would. 

Finished the front yesterday. Hopefully, I'll finish the stairs and far side today.

Finished the front yesterday. Hopefully, I'll finish the stairs and far side today.